Canberra Mosque

>> Friday, August 1, 2008

My first impression of the Canberra Mosque is that it reminded me of a huge tent.


The Main Entrance


A view from the side


Sorry about this pic...I wasn't trying to be artistic. I was walking and taking the pic at the same time. Plus you can see people sitting outside the mosque(this means I'm late *LOL*).


After Friday prayers there are some people selling food(white van)


Our Islamic brothers...

A little insight into the history of this mosque:
"The Canberra Mosque was built in 1960 by the diplomatic missions of Pakistan, Malaysia and Indonesia. The registered body, which owns the land and the mosque, is the Canberra Mosque Inc. The land was a perpetual grant to CMI by the Commonwealth Government at 1 shilling per annum rental. It is situated at 155 Empire Circuit, Yarralumla opposite the site of future Iranian embassy." - From the Canberra Islamic Centre

My personal experience so far, I was taken aback from the way the Imam did the Friday Sermon. Half of the sermon is done in Arabic and the other half, the translation in English.

He's also very direct in his approach. Since I guess the Islamic community is small, he can put in one or two announcement before starting the sermon. E.g. about the lecture that will be held that evening after Maghrib prayers and that people should come because they want to in the name of GOD, not because they want to be seen by their peers. :)

Once, in the middle of the sermon he noticed that someone was wearing a shirt with animal pictures. So he calmly said that it is better not to wear shirts with people or animals printed on it to the mosque and he coyly added..."Not that I am pointing at anyone in particular" I just smiled(while at the same time checking my shirt)

One thing I can't deny is that he is very sincere in what he does. Now I'm kinda used to how he operates. Which brings me to the question, should our Imams follow suit this kind of approach? Only GOD knows.

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

Followers

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP